Our organization is currently seeking a Greenhouse Technician Assistant to help with the greenhouse installation, setup and training in the communities we work with, to ensure that the Greenhouse infrastructures installed runs smoothly. The goal is to make sure that the community we work with have the knowledge and confidence to operate these projects on their own in the most sustainable manner possible. This therefore involves being able to have insights into the sustainability aspect of the projects and help come up with ideas to further promote this through the work we do.
The position will be reporting to the Green Iglu Project Manager, for each build.
Job Type: Seasonal Full-time
The paid position involves hours that may vary week to week depending if the technician is in a remote community, traveling to a community, or preparing remotely for the next build or offering virtual assistance. The training period will be part time until the beginning of the full-time portion of the position.
The position can start from April to the end of September, 2022. Starting time is flexible and the possibility of an extension will be discussed at the review taking place August 1, 2022.
- The main focus of this role is to be on-site for Green Iglu project builds and facilitate the internal setup of the greenhouse along with the training that comes with the Green Iglu builds.
- Collect information in each community during a build such as pictures, videos and stories that can be used to promote the community initiative.
- Will be working together with the Green Iglu team to help troubleshoot any challenges that arise and ensure that things run smoothly.
- Help come up with new ideas to promote the sustainability of the project.
- Write reports for each build that is performed to help Green Iglu improve their services.
Qualifications / Characteristics
- Interest in projects that are aimed at improving food sovereignty.
- Knowledge in working with plants, i,e, horticulture classes and gardening.
- Interest in learning new skills and working in remote communities.
- Experience working with diverse groups of people.
- Must be comfortable teaching both in person and online in an informal environment. Excellent communication skills are a must.
- Be able to think on your feet and be able to work independently.
- Due to continued restrictions in some of our communities as well as travel methods, we require proof of vaccination against COVID-19.
Additional duties will include:
- You will be required to be working away from home as the communities will be based across Canada.
- Join in on our weekly meetings to give updates on the work that is being done.
- Expected to undertake professional development guided by Green Iglu during the work period.
- Produce reports on activities/work done in the community.
- Complete an OHSA online program and follow all safety policies and procedures.
- Complete Food is Our Medicine program created by Nourish.
- Helping build Greenhouses and other simple construction so familiarity with construction or power tools an asset